By Rachael Buckland, an intern with the Lowy Institute's Migration and Border Policy project
- View Time’s photo series revealing the realities of life on the ground for refugees fleeing Mosul.
- UNHCR’s Filippo Grandi visited Niger and praised the nation’s generous refugee hosting programme. Niger is home to 165,000 refugees fleeing conflict and persecution in Mali and Nigeria.
- Reflecting on the American election and legal requirements of resettlement, the Kaldor Centre’s Madeline Gleeson unpacks why asylum seekers on Manus and Nauru will spend another New Year in limbo.
- Drawing on ACARA findings, The Daily Telegraph reports that students from a non-English speaking background are outperforming their Australian peers in NAPLAN literacy and numeracy tests.
- Ahead of Christmas, MPI is counting down the top 10 migration issues of 2016.
- One year on, IOM checks in with those displaced in Myanmar after Cyclone Komen.
- Ahead of the EU leader’s meeting this week, Human Right Watch have called for all policy decision making to reflect respect for human rights.
- IOM’s first regional analysis of displacement trends in the Lake Chad Basin revealed over 2.6 million individuals are currently displaced.
- A humanitarian base and a series of hubs in the state of Borno in Nigeria have been set up to provide aid to millions impacted by Boko Haram conflict.