The Indo-Pacific is a strategic system encompassing the Indian and Pacific oceans, reflecting the expanding interests and reach of China and India as well as the enduring role of the US. The Lowy Institute's International Security program presents a weekly selection of links illuminating the changing security picture in this increasingly connected super-region.
- Last night, the Lowy Institute's Distinguished International Fellow, Stephen Hadley, deliver the Owen Harries Lecture on the 'new model' of US-China relations.
- As China's economic interests expand, how will its overseas military basing requirements change?
- Scott Cheney Peters looks at how Japan's nationalisation of the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands shaped the US rebalance to Asia.
- The Japan International Cooperation Agency has been awarded a contract to build 200km of India's strategic roads along its border with China.
- According to Xinhua, the prospects for a Xi-Abe meeting on the sidelines of APEC next week are not looking good.
- Why India and Indonesia should cooperate on Indo-Pacific security.
- This multimedia report looks at how the addition of nuclear-strike capabilities to China's submarines is altering the strategic balance in Indo-Pacific Asia.
- Meanwhile, India's submarine force is dwindling after a series of accidents and cascading delays. Iskander Rehman argues:
New Delhi is cognizant of the fact that in order to enjoy an effective sea-based deterrent, particularly vis-a-vis China, whose strategic centers are located along its eastern seaboard, it will need to develop larger SSBNs with greater missile-carriage capacity and more powerful reactors. The development of a sea-based deterrent constitutes a colossal new undertaking for the Indian Navy, whether in terms of technological development, supporting infrastructure or even in terms of nuclear doctrine and command and control arrangements.
The Lowy Institute International Security Program's work on Indo-Pacific security is supported by two grants from the John D and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation